Gifts of Books and Other Library Materials
Please note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are not currently accepting donations of books or other library materials.
The Colchester – East Hants Public Library accepts gifts of books and other materials if they are in good condition and fall within the guidelines of the library’s Collection Development and Maintenance Policy.
All donated material becomes the property of the library. If not needed for the library’s collection, the material may be sold at seasonal or ongoing sales at selected branches to raise money for the library or otherwise may be disposed of in an appropriate manner.
Due to the large volume of donations received and the limited space available for storage, processing, and display, guidelines for preferred donations and those not suitable are offered (see below). The library does not provide receipts, for income tax purposes, for donations of books and other items for the collection.
- Best sellers
- Paperback books less than 3 years old
- Hardcover books less than 5 years old
- Local history (books about Colchester, East Hants, etc.)
- Material covering specific subject areas (as determined by library staff)
- CDs, DVDs, etc. in poor condition (i.e. incomplete, scratched, etc.)
- Books in poor condition (i.e. yellowed pages, ripped pages, broken bindings, marked, etc.)
- Encyclopedias and other multi-volume sets University and college textbooks Books with outdated content
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- National Geographic magazines