Do you need help with preparing your income tax return? The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program provides eligible community members with the opportunity to have their tax returns done free of charge.
Am I eligible for help?
You may be eligible for help at a free tax clinic if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation. In general, you have a modest income if based on your family size, your total family income is less than the amount shown in the chart below.
The chart below shows the requirements to take part in a free tax clinic.
|Suggested income levels|
|Family size||Total family income|
|More than 5 persons||$52,500 plus $2,500 for each additional person|
Simple tax situation
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from these sources:
- benefits such as Canada Pension Plan, disability, employment insurance, social assistance
- registered retirement savings plans (RRSP’s)
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest (under $1,000)
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business or rental income and expenses
- have capital gains or losses
- have filed for bankruptcy
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person
Branches offering the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program
|Elmsdale||Starts March 1. Tax returns can be dropped off during open hours.|
|Stewiacke||Starts March 1. Tax returns can be dropped off during open hours.|
|Truro||Starting March 3, tax returns to be completed can be dropped off at the police side entrance of the Library during the following timeslots:|
Questions? Call your local branch today for more information.